Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kindergarten Utopia

Due to having spent last night sleeping on the bathroom floor with mystery stomach pain, I did not get to go into Little G's classroom today.  However, my mother went and she confirmed what I already suspected, which is that the sub is basically Glenda the Good Witch in the form of a kindergarten teacher.  The munchkins are listening, sitting still and even learning things.

I already knew she was an upgrade when I picked Little G up from school on Monday.  I peeked into the room and saw twenty-six kids sitting quietly on the carpet with their coats and backpacks on in the midst of a spotlessly clean room.  It was breathtaking.  And then when I went to the door of the classroom this lovely woman cheerfully introduced herself to me (!) (how professional, how kind) (this never happened with the other teacher).  Not only is the room tidy, but she has turned it into a real kindergarten with all sorts of cool stuff on the walls like safety signs, number charts and months of the year.  She entertains them with stories of her five children who range in age from two to twenty.  She is happy to be in the classroom teaching my kid.  I am in love.  I am scheming ways to keep her until June.

4 comments:

Auntie YoYo said...

Hooray! This is what all of you deserve. And I really hope you get to keep her.

Molly said...

This is wonderful! What you and little G deserve! Write a recommendation to the principal and superintendent right away (with nothing against the other teacher, but highlight improvements). Public schools have a way of putting an end to good things fast (as someone who taught in them for 10 years).

katem said...

Yay! Here's hoping she somehow gets to stay!

shisomama said...

so glad to hear that you're now having a good kindergarten experience! fingers crossed that you'll get to keep her!!