Friday, November 16, 2012

and two steps back

I was back in the classroom yesterday and I'm disappointed to report that things have gotten pretty bad in there.  I'm not even talking about academics because learning became a secondary issue for me when I saw the physical violence that was going on.  I spoke with the teacher afterward and she said she was concerned that the classroom was not a safe place for the students.  Like before, I am at a total loss for what to do about the situation.  There just don't seem to be any options for moving Little G.  Perhaps we go back to the principal?  Above the principal?

*** 
A note on class size:
When we brought up the issue of class size to the principal (who, if you'll recall, moved across the country to take this job last summer ), he said that perhaps he should have been more thorough about researching our district before he took the job.  Funny stuff if only I didn't have a kid enrolled in a kindergarten where people get punched in the face on a regular basis.

4 comments:

katem said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no wisdom, only sympathy.

Lily Walking said...

Time for some community organizing among potentially concerned parents? I know you'll do everything you can, and that Lilian is both brilliant and compassionate, both of which she gets from you guys.

Molly said...

Community organizing sounds like a good idea. Or, speaking to local government about the class size. Really lame advice, I know. I feel your bind.

shisomama said...

I wish I had something for you here, but I'm coming up really empty. I'm so sorry for you guys. Here's my last ditch, completely desperate suggestion: would you ever consider home schooling? It's definitely not for me, but our really good friends have done (and enjoyed) it for many years. It doesn't quite look how I thought it would, with more flexibility and community and outside classes than I would've thought. If you want to chat with them, I'd be happy to put you in touch. (And it could be just until you find other options for next fall...)